Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Interview: Morning Glory's Charlotte Ryan

Morning Glory pool, Yosemite National Park

We thought it might be nice to have a few short interviews here on Blacklog - just chats with people we like or people who are doing something we like. The first person that came to mind, possibly because we were listening to bFM at the time was Charlotte Ryan - the soft-spoken, easy-to-stay-tuned-to host of daily 10am-noon slot on bFM, Morning Glory. Charlotte is the consummate radio host; possesses a broad knowledge of music and musical history, adept at interviews, able to construct her shows ahead of time and above all, engages.

The Christchurch native has a background in band management (Shapeshifter, Ladi6 and Verse 2) and worked as a publicist at FMR and then Warner Music before having her baby girl Annie. In searching for a picture that we felt would encapsulate the vibe of the show we came across the image above of the famous Morning Glory pool at Yosemite National Park in the USA which seemed, somehow, perfect:

Describe Morning Glory in five words...Great Music and Entertaining Features

What does New Zealand radio need more of? Me! ...nah, just jokes. I love the creative ad writing on bFM - no other station would have me in fits of laughter during the ad break - other stations need better, funnier, creative ads.

I have most enjoyed interviewing..........and why? I find interviews very interesting because you never know what sort of personality you are going to encounter from the interviewee. I have really enjoyed interviewing lots of local artists, some of my favourite international artists that i have interviewed have been Bjorn Yttling (Peter Bjorn and John) Jolie Holland, E from The Eels, Squeak E Clean (N.A.S.A.) and Aaron Dessner (The National). Interviewing is a skill I'm still trying to master, but when an interview flows in the right way it can be extremely rewarding.

I would most like to interview.........and why? Phil Spector. I am currently reading The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown - he is a very interesting character who has been involved with some amazing music. Spector would not be allowed to bring any guns to the interview.

How much planning do you do before each show and when do you do it? I am such a geek and prep for at least 2 hours each night once my Annie has gone to bed. When prepping, I often get distracted by interesting music blogs - usually when I am supposed to be preparing for an interview. I can also spend ages hunting for a particular song i want to play...this is usually the case for my cover songs (I start off each show with a new cover song)

Do you see yourself having a long and prosperous radio career or is Morning Glory a stepping stone to other things? I would LOVE a long and prosperous radio career... for me, playing great music and broadcasting is a dream job.

The most interesting new music is coming from? Morning Glory... tune in.

Your top five tunes this week?
The XX - Crystalised
Here we Go Magic - Fangela
Bibio - Fire Ant
Animal Collective - Daily Routine (Phaseone remix)
Grizzley Bear - Two Weeks

Five old school tunes that continue to ring your bells?
The Cure - A Forest
3Ds - Hey Seuss
Can - Mother Sky
The Clash - This is Radio Clash
Carlton and the Stones - Never Give Your Heart Away

Top five NZ tunes this year so far?
Coco Solid - Turtle Pizza Cadillac
Lawrence Arabia - The Undesirables
Bachelorette - Mindwarp
Wild Bill Ricketts feat. Connan Mockasin - Siamese Dream
Drab Do Riffs - Motorscoot Scoot

I never thought I’d like them but now I do...
Bon Iver

Number one tune of 2008?
M.I.A. - Paper Planes (DFA Remix)

Morning Glory, bFM, 10am - 12noon, Monday - Fridays